Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Button fly jeans

Do you remember button fly jeans?  They're still available by Levis, but we all used to wear them in the 90's.  Yesterday I was watching a 1996 movie called Beautiful Girls.  This movie starred lots of big names....Hutton, Thurman, Dillon, Sorvino, and a young Natalie Portman and it just got me thinking.  

In the 90's I was in high school wearing button fly jeans most likely Big Star jeans as they were the trend.  God I loved those jeans but boy were they expensive.  Button fly Big Star jeans is what led me to get my first job as mom and dad explained they'd pay for Levi's but if I wanted the more expensive of the 2, I'd need to get some income....need to get a job.  I was not impressed with this "lesson" but darn right I got a job.  At Muffin Break on 4th & Alma. All I wanted was those jeans so in true Carly fashion I got what I wanted.

In the movie yesterday the main character goes home to figure out some things in his life. He reconnects with friends, searches his soul for purpose and ends up being happy with the girl he took for granted all while wearing a very 90's black trench coat.  The trench coat was a big fashion statement but never took in Kitsilano and I'm thankful for that as it would have covered my Big Stars I worked so hard for.

I related with his "going home" feelings.  Although I am at home, I feel the reconnecting with old friends, the struggles as to where the future will lead and figuring out what my new purpose will be.  I do know some of the struggles I'm about to face but in an odd twisted way I'm thankful for Cancer.  I look forward to seeing my new purpose because I have no clue what it is, and have to have faith and believe that this new purpose will reveal itself to me.

This is my last week before treatment.  It involves catching up with relatives visiting from South Africa, an early birthday party with my besties and a cousin cancer kick off party.  I'm exhausted just typing LOL

Monday the big show starts and this is when I'll be reaching out to you.  It might be for a ride home, picking up some groceries or just a hang out session where you tell me your latest so I can forget mine just for a little while.  

I think I'll continue watching some older movies as there are so many and they're such good films.  One thing they almost all have in common,  is the hot guy who drives a beat up truck who with one look makes your heart melt.  16 Candles here I come and the 80's flashbacks along with it!

#carly2conquercancer

XOXO

C






6 comments:

  1. I love your outlook! Stay positive and work on one day at a time.

    Do you want me to do the google docs with your schedule yet where people can add where they can help out?

    Do you want to start a book club?

    - Petra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't know my schedule till Monday so once I have it well go from there. I'm not a book club kind of girl but Thxs for idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay well let me know if you want any good book recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boots with the fir? No wait that's a Nelly song! Lol keep on smiling :) xo
    -Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big Star! I remember them. Seafarer flare jeans - I coveted those in my high school years but alas, no jeans allowed to school (Nana and Pops rule) of course AK would sneak hers to school and change there….but no telling tales. If you have a DVD player I have tons of movies……ox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh the high school years... the crazy thing is that the jeans were always so fitted but no stretch in them... how the hell did we do that? Let me know when you get your schedule...

    ReplyDelete

Hello everyone.  I wanted to do a final entry and inform you of the new way I'll be blogging moving forward.  I just realized that today...