Wednesday, December 31, 2014

A la hospital

I was on antibiotics for 1 week post surgery as a preventative measure, but after they ended just before Christmas, I wasn't feeling quite right.  I rang the doctor this past Friday and told him my symptoms, and he called in a prescription right away to fight what we expected was an infection.  What we didn't expect was as to how serious an infection it would become!

I called the Cancer Clinic Monday and they squeezed me in for a checkup at 1pm. I was in a tremendous amount of pain, could hardly walk and no sitting of any sort was possible, it just hurt way too much.  I lay my head on the console between mom and me as she drove us to the clinic. I was crying but in true mom fashion she calmed me by gently rubbing my cheek & her fingers through my hair saying "we're almost there".   We arrive at the clinic and I wobble with my cane to the check in desk.  Pleasant lady says to to take a seat in the waiting room, and with tears rolling down my cheek I told her I could not sit.  There  were other cancer patients in the waiting room but all eyes we're on me as I was the days token "I'm glad I'm not her" girl.  There's always one worse off patient and on Monday I carried that honour, just with no trophy or sachet!

I was quickly taken to an evaluation room where I could lie down and wipe my tears.  I always forget to bring my own kleenex to the clinic or VGH cause their Kleenex is like sand paper..better add that to my next visit list!   I was evaluated by 2 lovely doctors and told I have a severe infection and will need to be admitted to VGH.  I was totally on board to do whatever it takes to make me feel better but I didn't bring my overnight bag.  The horror!....but I shall survive for 1 night without trashy magazines, iPad and charger.  Cousin Steph lives around the corner so when she and Su visited, they brought along a toothbrush and toothpaste which is a necessity!  

The cancer clinic & VGH are connected via underground tunnels so off I went on a gurney for a bit of an adventure. My porter was a nice man but whistled the whole time adding to the ambience.  It was cool but also kinda creepy with pipes and neon lighting and random staff appearing out of random hallways like you'd see in a haunted house at Halloween!  The robin blue coloured elevator finally brought us up & we set out for my room. 

I've now been a la Hospital for 2 days receiving antibiotics & pain medication via IV. I can already see improvement but got a way to go yet. The doctors will keep examining me & will decide if a trip to the OR is needed for what they call debridment which removes infected tissue.  A CT scan has been ordered to ensure infection just in 1 area. Let's  move on shall we....

I've had lots of visitors and wouLd appreciate more. Seeing happy faces and hearing jokes that make me laugh & smile makes the wearing of this gown all the better!  Please keep coming as I'm here until at least Saturday.

Tonight is NYE so expect no visitor so decided to have a party with solitaire...oh ya...wild night!

Talk to you next year & thanks for all the support & love 

XOXO

#carly2conquercancer

C

1 comment:

  1. Carly,

    Sorry to read about this. At least things seem to be under control (and full of interesting scenery "a la hospital"!)

    As for NYE, well, you're not missing much. No, actually you are: too much traffic & overpriced _everything_.

    Wish you all the best for 2015!

    ReplyDelete

Hello everyone.  I wanted to do a final entry and inform you of the new way I'll be blogging moving forward.  I just realized that today...