Monday, January 5, 2015

Stings like a bee

It's been 4 days since I last wrote and so much has happened.  I hope I can sum up such pain and suffering in a way you can easily understand. 

I was responding well to the IV antibiotics and pain meds when I was admitted and then had the debridement surgery removing the infected tissue.  I had a Greys Anatomy moment as the operating doctor and anesthesiologist are married.  I told them I felt like I was on an episode and think I hit on Mcdreamy in my foggy state.  Got to entertain when I can. I woke up in recovery and felt so much better and hoped I was on my way to being discharged and heading home.

On Saturday my right leg started to bother me, like a pins & needles feeling. I've had numbness in my right leg for a while but never like this.  The numbness turned in to shocking pain from my hip to my knees.  My thigh was on fire.  To describe the pain I can only say it's like when your leg falls asleep but add in heat and a stabbing like pain.  In half and hour I went from a pain level of 5 to 10.  I was screaming in agony, I've never screamed like this during radiation or  any other time of my life.  The nurses pumped pain meds in to my IV but nothing was stopping the pain.  They gave me a med that is for nerve pain and things calmed down but the pain hasn't gone away but the screaming has!  This all happened over a 5 hour period.  My family was with me and could do nothing but hold my hand and rub my back.  Mom ended up staying the night so she could be with me and also see the doctors as they come early in the morning to discuss your progress and upcoming moments. 

I had a CT scan and it showed no damage to bones so today I had an MRI which will hopefully show where the nerve pain derives from.  I won't be leaving VGH until we have this answer and know now to control the pain and treat it.  The meds I'm on now are not taking away the pain but I'm coping.  Pain level of 7/8.  I pray for a quick solution.

I'm able to get out of bed with strategy and make my way around but some moments are better than others.  I know to get out of bed straight vs twisting to feel less burning and do leg stretches in bed to help calm the pain.  I also walk around the ward with a walker looking like a granny but wearing my leopard print robe for a little bit of style.

Tomorrow morning I have a consult with the hyperbaric chamber team to see if I'm a candidate for this type of healing.  I look forward to hearing more about it but it's basically me getting tons of oxygen in a room too help heal. I'll be sure to tell you more about it as it will definitely will be very interesting.

Until this leg issue is solved I'll remain in hospital but I have no idea how long that will be.  Keep in touch as I love the visits.  Keeps me sane and I love hearing about your lives to take some time away from mine.

XOXO

#carly2conquercancer

C


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello everyone.  I wanted to do a final entry and inform you of the new way I'll be blogging moving forward.  I just realized that today...