Saturday, July 11, 2015

Monopoly

One year ago today I was diagnosed with cancer, it was a hard day and a day I'll never forget.  365 days later I sit in my bed typing away...memories flashing before my eyes.  What a year it has been.

When I saw a gynaecologist on July 7th 2014, she took a biopsy and let me know she thought it was cancer. That was Monday and come Friday all was confirmed.  After the initial shock and tears, Mom and I headed to the car where we called my brother and father.  We sat in the car parked in an underground parkade, phone on speaker, taking turns talking and wiping away tears telling them what had just happened.  I so badly wanted to go home and hide, pretend this wasn't real, but instead was getting X-rays not 2 hours later.

The next week I was at the Cancer Agency meeting with the amazing doctors who would help me battle this disease.  Cancer is like the game of Monopoly.  You roll the dice and keep going round & round until you hopefully win.  The relationships you strenghthen or make during this journey are the hotels, your supporters are the other players playing with you and becoming cancer free is the get out of jail card.  Life is represented by passing GO!..as long as you can go, you can play...you can live.

As much as I've disliked battling this disease, I wouldn't change a thing. Well maybe a couple things, but big picture I'm a better person from this awful experience.  I feel closer to my family than ever before...parents, brother, cousins, aunts, uncles I thank you. I'm a lucky girl to have you all in my corner and couldn't have come out as strong without you.  My friends near and far have truly been amazing.  Most people can count their closest friends on one hand and I'm proud to say I need all my hands and feet and maybe a few pairs of shoes too!

This next week is a big week as I'll hear what the 2 biopsies have discovered. I can only hope for the best but if I get some bad news I'll just roll the dice, build some hotels and pass GO! all over again.

XOXO

#carly2conquercancer

C




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello everyone.  I wanted to do a final entry and inform you of the new way I'll be blogging moving forward.  I just realized that today...