Saturday, April 4, 2015

Crohn's Carly

Wednesday's procedure went well and I felt nothing.  I was a little woozy from the sedative but not enough to stop me from asking the nurse for my glasses so I could see the screen.  I had no idea what I was looking at but it was kinda neat.  It was over quickly and off to recovery I went.

In admitting the nurse asks you questions about previous surgeries and general health.  Obviously I had lots to say as my journey has been busy, but it was a reflection for me as time passes and you move on to the next so kind of forget the past. As she was hooking up my IV she said I'd sure been through a lot especially at my age.  After she stepped away to help another patient I had a moment.  A small tear rolled down my cheek as I thought about the first day I was told I had cancer and where I was today.  I was in this exact surgical room in July prepping for my groin lymphnode removals and now back for my colonoscopy. A full circle journey. 

The colonoscopy determined that I do have Crohn's disease but a mild case.  I'm taking this as a win because I knew something wasn't right and now I can treat it. Doctor said I've had it a long time, maybe forever, and I'll have to take daily medication to help my condition. 

I was on Google last night checking out web sites and tips and my food life will change in a big way.  For example I can no longer eat raw vegetables, they have to be cooked and some I can't have at all like broccoli and cauliflower.  Up to now I ate cucumber and tomatoes all the time which explains why I felt so bad after.  I'm to steer clear of sugar (aren't we all LOL) and no nuts and seeds.  So no strawberries or raspberries, these 2 fruits I also ate often. When it comes to fruit I'm not to have skin so if I eat an apple I must remove the skin first.  Grapes are on the outs because of the skin, this was another fruit I ate often.

I'm taking this challenge head on and will use it as inspiration to become a great cook and health freak!  Just need to add in the daily exercise and I'm on my way.  It's tough though when your body still hurts and not totally healed.  But I have to push through this and make it happen.  I need to be the driver like I said in my last blog.  

I sure hope that Crohn's is the last stop on my journey.  I'm tired of being sick and hope that as I fix my food life that my cancer life stays away.  My next PET scan isn't far away (May) and my fingers are crossed it'll be clear and my cancer has not come back.  

Look out life, Carly Allen is coming for ya!

XOXO

#carly2conquercancer

C

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello everyone.  I wanted to do a final entry and inform you of the new way I'll be blogging moving forward.  I just realized that today...