Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Tattoo time!

Tattoo time came and went today, no heart, no stars....just looks like another freckle!

I thought of talking to the radiologist like Tattoo from the hit show Fantasy Island ('77-'84), "Look boss da plane, da plane!"  & I thought to call this blog "The tale of two tattoos" .....but I have 3 so that made no sense and for once in my life was too chicken to talk funny to a perfect stranger!

Today was the last day of prep before my radiation and chemotherapy start.  In my pink v-neck tshirt and paisley pink PJ pants, mom and I set off to the Cancer Clinic at 9am arriving slightly early as "Allen training" prepared us to do.  Mom dropped me at the front doors, went to park the car and met up with me shortly thereafter. 

The floors of radiology on the 2nd floor have color lines that guide you to your waiting room.  I had no idea which color to follow so rolled the dice and purple it was.  I'm wobbling along and getting deeper and deeper in to these halls.  I thought I might join in on someone's therapy or something.  Finally I see a desk and I told the ladies I was here for my radiation mapping and CT appointment.  She checked me in on her computer but advised me I was to have checked in by the elevators and to have followed the red lines.  I turned around followed purple till it met red and found my waiting room.  

I didn't have quite enough water in my bladder in order to start, so had to pound back water like it was jagermeister at The Roxy.  Without water they told me the scan would be flat like a pancake with poor visibility.  I told them I'd love the day my stomach was as flat as a pancake! LOL

Today's CT scan didn't involve the warm dye and the ugly man voice ...just a scan.  I was so relieved and the scan was quick & painless.  The tattoos were just a prick of ink on each hip bone and below my belly button.  These tattoos will guide my radiation each time I come in so we don't radiate where unnecessary. 

We sat in an information room reviewing side effects and treatment protocol. I was told no alcohol whatsoever....like none..zilch.  I mean I'm not looking to get crazy tipsy but I'm gonna be dry for a while!  H2O is the way to go!  The nurse checked my surgery area today and I'm healing well.  Just walking very oddly so will use a cane for balance and to ease the pressure on my hips.  

Over the next 10 days they plan out my strategy and on August 11th, 5 days before my 39th birthday, I start radiation.  I've been told it's going to be really tough.  I'll be exhausted, I'll be sore and possible loss of appetite to name a few.  The doctors are amazing and since I'm receiving daily treatment, they'll have a good read on my progress and will monitor me really close.  5 weeks is the plan but I could require 5-8 additional sessions pending on how big kahuna responds to being zapped!

Until August 11th it's leisure time....or cocktail hour ha ha ha. I'd love to visit with you, talk with you or cry with you...well maybe not cry!   Most likely I'll be catching up on my PVR shows laughing at Jimmy Fallon jokes & many Netflix series.  I'm still not allowed to drive Snowflake since I remain on my pain killers so you just have to pick me up or come to my place.  Drop me a line!

As always thanks for your love and support. Every day I'm truly blown away with so much love and care.  

#carly2conquercancer

XOXO

C

3 comments:

  1. That building is such a maze! Love the colour coding.
    Are you free tomorrow for lunch?
    - Petra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to convince Candice to get a tattoo with me in vegas - but no dice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl im heading to nyc. Be back aug 12....i will come by then. Do u have US netflix? It will change ur life

    ReplyDelete

Hello everyone.  I wanted to do a final entry and inform you of the new way I'll be blogging moving forward.  I just realized that today...