Monday, April 20, 2015

Aqua

Yesterday was my 40th day being cancer free.  I spent the day celebrating Taylor and her holy confirmation. Feels like yesterday that Jayson & Maria welcomed T in to this crazy world. I remember holding her at hours of age, such a cute little thing, and now she's starting grade 8 in September.  She's beautiful inside and out and I have no doubt she'll do great things with her life. 

I had a great time hanging out with the kids and the rest of the family, and might have enjoyed some treats. Less than I would have had last year but dabbled for sure.  I felt fine, seemed to be OK even with the Canucks loss. I'd previously decided that Monday morning at 8am I'd go to deep water Aquafit so was in bed at a decent hour however I slept poorly. I should have taken the poor sleep as a sign. 

I was up before my alarm and maybe slept 3 hours and was exhausted but told myself no excuses. I purposely didn't eat as I didn't want to have any issues while in the pool.  I put on my suit and headed to the Aquatic Centre. 

Aquafit is one of my favourite ways to work out so was quite pumped to be back.  Class began and I was doing good.  Body was rusty but felt no physical limitations.  About 10 mins in I just wasn't feeling right.  I decided to slow down and stay in the back in case I needed to make a quick exit.  The instructor asked if I was ok as I'm sure she saw a scowl or some sort of weird face. Told her quickly I was a recent cancer survivor and dealing with Crohn's and she congratulated me on making it to class. 

While in the pool a lady asked if it was too hard for me. I told her my situation and she said other survivors are also in the class. I didn't get to chat with any of these ladies as half way thorough I got out of the pool.  It's funny...I was angry at myself for not finishing.  Physically I could do the exercises but my insides told me different.  Crohn's Disease introduced itself to me today, all day, and fiercely. 

The rest of today has been agony. The pain was like radiation all over again and tears were flowing. My mom and then my aunt had to come be with me as I was a mess.  Lately I've been feeling better than not, so this set back has gotten to me, I really wanted today to go smoothly.  I'd made an inspirational exercise calendar, chose my venue, pumped myself up and now have to re-think this all over again.  Although I didn't find today challenging physically,  my body told me it's not ready to such an extreme. Instead of Aquafit I'll try a stretching class or a beginners yoga or weights.

Today was a brutal day but I can't let it define me.  As much as I want to give up I can't, I got to push through and try something else.  My hope is I can train my body & over time get back in to the pool, just got to take baby steps even though my mind is ready to jump right in.  The winning spirit I hold inside has to take a back seat to reality but hopefully over time that'll change.

Tomorrow night I'm going to the Unique Lives event at the Orpheum with Katyann.  Valerie Harper is the speaker and I look forward to hearing how she overcame her cancer hardships and life challenges.  Some inspiration after a bad day is welcome and hope the Canucks get a win too!

XOXO

#carly2conquercancer

C


2 comments:

  1. Good that you got out there cousin. Also good that you are listening to your body & knowing your limits. Take it from a girl who has spent the last seven years struggling to understand the boundaries her body is setting for her. I just keep working to understand my limits - and then push them a little further each day.

    One of the quotes I like that I see alot on running websites & blogs is "The miracle isn’t that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start." -John Bingham

    Just keep starting cousin, You can do it.

    oxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the note J3! I'm feeling better now, well it's late so I better, and hope and know tomorrow is a better new day. ❌⭕️❌⭕️

      Delete

Hello everyone.  I wanted to do a final entry and inform you of the new way I'll be blogging moving forward.  I just realized that today...