Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Radiation over!

Up until 630pm tonight I was thinking my boost was a for sure thing.....but then a NO CALLER ID call came in.  I answered & it was my surgeon.  After consulting with my radiation doctor and some of her colleagues, she decided to cancel the boost.  Until you know the full story you probably aren't sure if it's good or bad news but I'm writing in pink so it's good!

Today was probably one of the worst days I've ever had.  My pain level was off the charts and my tears wouldn't stop.  I took my pain meds and used my creams but nothing was helping me.  Anything I ate or drank was out of me faster than Marty McFly going Back To The Future in the DeLorean car time machine.  I left messages for the doctors to call me and told mom I couldn't take any more physically. 

Needing to feel better I called my angel and neighbour Aunt Michelle to come over and distract me & give me a change of scenery.  My poor mother sat with me on my bed all day and held my hand, rubbed my back and listened to me cry.  She's been so strong through this all.  Now I have my mom and aunt to talk with and it worked.  We all hung out in my bed and I relaxed and stopped crying.  A fashion magazine was also brought over for future use!

As mentioned the call came in at 630pm.  By then aunty was home, I was doing ok and mom was relaxing at the TV.  Ring ring....!  Here are the reasons why the boost is canceled and why it's a good thing.  Going point form for easy understanding:
1-more radiation could do more damage than good to my sphincter 
2-my tumour has shrunk well up until now
3-radiation will live & continue to shrink my tumour for months
4-it just might be too much
5-my pain level is high
6-if I've responded well thus far we hope that continues 

I cried so much today I didn't have tears of joy left in me.  I was so happy to know no more appointments, no more additional pain, no more, no more, no more!  Now it's all about healing. My skin and body have been through a lot these past 5 weeks and I've had the tumour for who knows how long so I need to rest up, get stronger, get ready for surgery.  I'll have a follow up apt in Nov when they'll decide the surgery date.  Guesstimate is December...that darn Santa just likes me too much!

We must be excited about this but also must stay in reality.  My healing will take  time.  It'll happen in stages.  Nothing just happens because radiation stops but it shouldn't get worse.  I look forward to getting stronger.  Time to become a warrior and prepare for Decembers battle in the OR!

#carly2conquercancer

XOXO

C





2 comments:

  1. Carly I am so glad you are surrounded by so much love. Having your mom and Aunty Shel is definitely a recipe for love and calmness. Wish I could take away your pain, your tears, your fears and make everything ok...love you cousin...one day at a time xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things will only get better from here :)

    Stay strong !! <3

    ReplyDelete

Hello everyone.  I wanted to do a final entry and inform you of the new way I'll be blogging moving forward.  I just realized that today...